Monday, June 22, 2009

Audio Review: Knoxville 6/10/09

UPDATED


i know these are incredibly out of order, but i'm trying to get through all of these shows as quick as possible.

I think i'm going to save Camden, DC and the 2 Alpine's for last since those seem to be the shows everyone is raving about.

06/10/09 Thompson-Boling Arena, Knoxville, TN
Set I: Runaway Jim, Punch You in the Eye, Ocelot, Foam, Train Song, Undermind, Mike's Song> I am Hydrogen> Weekapaug Groove, The Squirming Coil, Character Zero
Set II: Back On The Train, Waves> A Song I Heard The Ocean Sing> David Bowie, Army of One, Reba, Hello My Baby1, Julius, Cavern, Harry Hood
Encore: Frankenstein

1 Last Played 12/5/1999 (135 Shows)


Good friends Ev, Bri, Kelly, Stitch and Jenny were at this show and while i haven't spoken to them about it, word of mouth has led me to believe this was a good one.

Lots of energy with Jim and PYITE. Ocelot is fine, but nothing special. Ditto for Foam (tight) and Train Song (nice bustout). After Hampton, i'm a big Undermind fan.

Previously i wrote that "The Mike's Groove was OK."

I'd like to revise that statement. While nothing completely mind blowing it was maybe the tightest Groove that we've heard this year. Smooth transitions, nailed Hydrogen and well rounded Weekapaug.

Decent (but short) Coil and Char Zero.

Second set was where this show was at for me. Funky GBOTT and i LOVED Waves->SIHTOS.

I want to re-emphasize that last point. There are a few songs that I enjoy from 2.0 and neither of these were on that list until recently. This is a nice glimpse as to where the band could be taking us in the future.

The Bowie and Reba had some great moments, but is there anything better than hearing what you think is a set ending Julius, Cavern only to be blessed with the descending tom hits we all know and love as HOOD?!?!?!?

I say not.

Hood has definitely been a highlight since they've come back. It's been played often, but played well, and allowed for some of the best exploration and build and release on the tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment